Current Calls for Papers
“Bodies of Knowledge/Knowledge of Bodies: Depictions of the Body in American Travel Writing.”
The Society for
American Travel Writing. American Literature Association Annual Conference, 24-27 May 2007,
The Society for American Travel Writing, a member society
of the American Literature Association, issues a call for papers for two
sessions at the ALA 2007 conference in
· Relationships between the body and knowledge
· Effects of travel on the body, including illness, discomfort, etc.
· Travel and bodily processes, including consumption, digestion, evacuation, etc.
· Travel and bodily concerns, including appearance, physical danger, sexuality, disability, gastronomy, etc.
· Historical perceptions of the body in American travel writing
Papers should be 20 minutes in length. Abstracts of no more than two pages may be
submitted by 15 January 2006 by mail, or preferably by email, to Dr. Valerie
Smith, Department of English, Quinnipiac University, CLA-IC, 237 Mt. Carmel
Ave., Hamden, CT, 06518, or <Valerie.Smith@quinnipiac.edu>; or to Dr.
Russ Pottle, Department of Literature, Saint Joseph Seminary College, 75376
River Rd., Saint Benedict, LA, 70457, or <